MetaShare service description
Ways MetaShare is an enhancement to SharePoint Online, a part of Office 365 that enables organizations to easily manage documents.
See the MetaShare feature comparison page in order to find out which MetaShare solution best fits your organization’s needs.
For information about new features in MetaShare Online, see the release notes page, also accessible from the About link under MetaShare’s Help function.
- SharePoint Online Plan 1 or SharePoint Online Plan 2, currently included in these Office 365 plans:
- Business (Maximum of 300 users)
- Office 365 Business Essentials
- Office 365 Business
- Office 365 Business Premium
- Enterprise (Unlimited number of users)
- Office 365 Enterprise E1
- Office 365 Enterprise E3
- Office 365 Enterprise E5
- Office 365 Enterprise F1*
- Education (Unlimited number of users)
- Office 365 Education
- Government (Unlimited number of users)
- Office 365 Government E1
- Office 365 Government E3
- Office 365 Government E5
- Business (Maximum of 300 users)
supported license in your tenant.
- Web browser:
- Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari and Mozilla Firefox: Office 365 and MetaShare are designed to work with the current version of these browsers.
To activate MetaShare on your office 365 tenant, please fill in the fields on this form and within short someone from the MetaShare team will contact you to guide you through the MetaShare activation. In order to activate MetaShare, you need to be a global administrator on SharePoint and on Azure Active Directory. The activation process does not take more than a few minutes.
MetaShare's boundaries and limits
The limitations for the MetaShare Online service, file upload limits, list threshold values and storage limits, are based on the limitations of SharePoint Online. For details, see the SharePoint Online software boundaries and limits.
For details about MetaShare specific limitations and known issues, see MetaShare’s known issues page, also accessible from the Help link under MetaShare’s Help function.
Data storage and backup
All customer’s documents accessible through MetaShare are stored in SharePoint Online.
Microsoft’s Data protection services are provided to prevent the loss of SharePoint Online data. All deleted content is stored in a recycle bin for 93 days. Complete backups are performed every 12 hours and retained for 14 days.
Maintenance, upgrades and updates of the Service
MetaShare Online will be updated with improvements and new features on a regular basis. Information about these updates will be communicated in advance, through e-mail, and also listed in the upcoming release notes page, also accessible from the About link under MetaShare’s Help function.
Under MetaShare’s Help function users find these 2 helpful links:
- MetaShare’s Help page, were you will find these sections:
- MetaShare’s Feedback page, were users can:
- Report an error
- Ask a question
- Submit an enhancement request
With an active MetaShare subscription, the customer’s MetaShare administrator has the right to obtain basic MetaShare support by using one of the three forms for MetaShare feedback. Depending on the reported error’s severity, the response time will vary. Critical errors are handled as soon as possible.
Extended MetaShare support
With an extended MetaShare support agreement, the customer’s MetaShare administrator also has the right to call MetaShare technical support team. A response is guaranteed within 8 office hours. Critical errors are managed quicker.
Pay per use MetaShare support
If customer do not have Extended MetaShare Support and they require support, they can contact the MetaShare technical support team. They will however be charged on an hourly basis.
MetaShare and GDPR
No customer information, data or content of customer is stored in MetaShare, apart from:
- Customer information used in the MetaShare activation process (e.g. the date of the MetaShare activation, the URL to customer’s SharePoint tenant and the administrator’s e-mail address).
- MetaShare's configuration (e.g. which filters and columns to display in the user interface).
- For all the workspaces/sites that are accessible through MetaShare's user interface, we store their names, their URLs and their any applied workspace metadata.
MetaShare does not store any of its customer’s documents or information about its users. Further description on how MetaShare manages GDPR.