How to create and configure a workspace configuration
You first need to create a workspace configuration, thereafter configure the settings for the configuration, see the following 2 sections for instructions:
1 - How to create a workspace configuration
- Go to MetaShare's start page.
- Click on the "Settings" function in the top bar:
- Click on "Workspace configurations" in MetaShare settings’ left navigation menu.
- You will come to the settings page, that when filled in looks like this:
The settings are:
- You need to add a meaningful unique name for the workspace configuration in the "Name" field. It is this name that the users will be asked for when creating new workspaces, i.e. which workspace configuration the workspace should be based on.
- Define the type of workspace configuration that you want to create. The options are 2:
- MetaShare workspace: when creating a new workspace of this type, an actual workspace will be created and all MetaShare's document management functionality will be applied to and used within the workspace.
- SharePoint site: when creating a new workspace of this type, you are actually not creating a workspace, just merely adding an existing SharePoint Online site collection to be displayed among the list of workspaces.
- Click on the "Save" button.
- The newly created workspace configuration will now be listed as one of the workspace configurations defined in your MetaShare and you will be redirected to the workspace configuration's settings page.
2 - How to configure a workspace configuration
Do the following to configure the workspace configuration that you just created:
- Defining the workspace configuration's general settings:
Where the settings are:
- Name: you can rename the workspace configuration by changing the text in the "Name" field.
- Term set for document types: select the term set that the workspace configuration will use for document types (see further instructions on this page). When a term set is selected, a sub-menu called "Suggested templates" will be made available, for the workspace configuration, where document types can be associated with suggested templates, helping users to find relevant templates when creating new documents.
- Click on the "Save" button to save your changes.
- Defining the workspace configuration's workspace fields (see instructions on this page, under section 4).
- Defining the workspace configuration's document columns and filters (see instructions on this page). This topic covers the following three submenus:
- Document content types
- Document columns
- Document filters
- Defining the workspace configuration's suggested templates (see instructions on this page).
- A prerequisite to open a workspace configuration is that you at least have "Read" permissions on SharePoint's content type hub. If you as well want to create MetaShare's document metadata (site columns and site content types), the users needs "Full Control" permissions on the hub. If you do not have any of these permissions, you will get this message when opening any of the workspace configurations:
Use one of the yellow-marked links above to assign you these permissions.