Enhanced document management in Office 365
The transition to Office 365 has provided a new platform for document management. Whereas previously saving files to a file server, organizations should now manage and save their documents in Office 365. The benefits of using Office 365 for document management are many.
There are many different applications in Office 365 that handles documents, and it’s easy to get lost and not use the right tool.
SharePoint in Office 365 has features for document management but it needs to be configured and it does not have an out-of-the-box solution for document management.
MetaShare® is a packaged solution for document management in Office 365. It is a part of document management together with OneDrive, Teams, Office Groups and SharePoint. MetaShare will help and simplify for the organization and the users who work with documents in Office 365.
To start with simple document management in Office 365, this is what you should apply:
- Use OneDrive for Business only as "My Documents".
- Use MetaShare for your crucial business documents (If not MetaShare, use SharePoint document library and make sure to configure this properly).
- Use Office Groups, Teams or a regular SharePoint site when needed enhanced collaboration tools.
When using MetaShare, Office Groups, Teams or SharePoint you need to set up basic rules.
- What sites should be created? Don’t make it free for your users to choose.
- Try to limit the number of sites, especially sites that are common use for the organization, team, department etc.
- Try to define different types of sites, e.g.; departmental sites, team sites, project sites, that are aligned with your business.
- Apply tags and document management settings, this should be done homogeneously throughout Office 365 (OneDrive for Business cannot be configured).
The MetaShare add-on in Office 365 is a packaged solution for document management. See the MetaShare demo.
Get our white paper
Download our white paper Document Management in Office 365 by entering your information in this form. It's our hope this could bring some clarity on how to think and act.